I bought a piece of poplar board from Home Depot instead of plywood, since it looks nicer. The board is 1/4″ thick, 6″ wide by 24″ long. More than enough for what I need. Just in case I need to redesign some parts. I made a sketch on a piece of paper with each part dimensions as a reference.
Using a miter saw, I started to cut the big pieces, then the small ones. The I marked the places for the servos, drilled at the corners of the rectangles and used a coping saw to cut them out. Then I filed the rectangular holes to be sure the servos will fit and marked the places for the screws. Using a smaller dril bit I pre-drilled the screw holes so the wood will not crack. Placing the mating parts together, I marked the places where the screws will go to attach them, then I pre-drilled the holes and mont the parts, starting with the servos and finally attaching everything together.
Then I mounted the caster wheel, the Roboduino microcontroller board, drilled oval holes for the servo wires, plugged all the servos into the board. I have decided to mount the Rovboduino horisontal, not vertical as it was on the 3D model, because it was looking nicer.
Now I have 4 things left to do: 3 servo brakets, 2 sensor mounts from angeled PVC, a slot with contacts for the 6V RC battery pack, mount a power switch, since the Roboduino board doesn’t have one.
Oh, the wheels… The wheels that I have ordered are too flimsy to use on this robot. So I’m debating if I’ll use Lego wheels as on my Balancing Robot, or made wheels from plastic jar lids as found on some Dole canned fruit. We’ll see…
Mean while, take a look at the pictures: